Sunday, November 16, 2008

Theology

A lot has been on my mind lately, but the issue taking up a good deal of spare time has been the issue of religion. I have been going to a baptist church with my family for years, and after taking a few years off with no church attendance at all, have recently started going back. But lately I have posed some questions for myself about what I truly believe. 
I am intrigued by Catholicism. 
This to many protestants (my mother especially) tends to be a sore spot of discussion. I am not trying to pigeon hole in any way, but the common belief among protestants is that Catholics are wrong in their doctrine and beliefs and cannot possibly be "saved" since they're not "born again". 
However, I have been doing my share of scripture study and have found multiple discrepancies with the doctrine of the protestant denominations. Imagine: There was the Catholic church, Martin Luther disagreed with certain teachings of the church and broke away to form his own, and from there multiple branches grew until people created whatever church they needed that would support their interpretation of the scriptures. Thus we have Lutherans, Methodists, Baptists, Community churches, the list goes on and on. Each has a slightly different doctrine, but I would think that when finding a denomination for yourself (at least in my case) I don't care about the title,  I care about the truth. I have found a ton of verses that support the teaching of the Catholic church.  "sola scriptura"  is not anywhere mentioned in the bible as far as I can see, maybe I'm just missing it. But that was one of the main reasons for the break from Catholicism in the first place, and if that main component of faith is an error, how is anything else possibly theologically correct? 

1 comment:

BIBI said...

Hi Clarity! I perfectly understand your dilemma. I feelas if I am in between religion(s), and I too am searching for the truth. I have grown up for so long with one religion, and it was taught to me that it was the only way to reach salvation with the lord. I struggle with this because if that is true why did he make other religions? Anyway, I am so glad I found your blog. I thought I was all alone in this religion dilemma.
Take care. Love your blog and I will be following it from now on.