Friday, March 12, 2010

We Were The Kings and Queens of Promise


Ahhh nothing better than spending tonight having dinner with the fam, then coming home to comfy pants, Third Eye Blind, and blogging in the study, window open, with Abby chillin by my side.
What better way to spend a Friday?

Ok, so to begin with a disclaimer, I am going to say that I don't enjoy Rochester-bashing. I think it's lame when people convince themselves that this town has nothing good.
There are definitely some parts of Rochester that are great.
We are steeped in history, have pockets of awesome culture, and plenty of decent places to raise a family.

However...
I am busting out of this town.
My goal is to move away from this place within the next eighteen months.
There are so many reasons that I have come to this decision, and it's something I have been considering for a while.

My reasons are all across the board, ranging from our high crime rate, (a triple homicide last week down the street is the straw that broke the camels back) high taxes, shitty education system, the slow death of what we used to be, and the constant realization that this city is entirely too small.
I want a fresh start away from it all.

Yes, I have friends and family, and it will break my heart not to be able to see them everyday.
(Although with the wonderful invention of Skype, even that won't be so much of an issue)

But honestly, when else am I going to be able to do this? I have nothing holding me back now. No real roots have been laid down in this place.
If I want to go, I can. And that is an incredibly empowering feeling.
A friend of mine moved to Seattle, and when I asked him why he chose to go there, out of anywhere else in the country, he sparked my intrigue.
We shall see.

1 comment:

jess said...

seattle is my favorite place:)