Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Steady Diet Of Pain Pills...




Oh where to begin.
About a week and a half ago, my wrists started hurting.
Thought I was crazy.
Then my knees, ankles, fingers.....
Every joint in my body (except my elbows) killed.

Since my job requires dexterity, and i couldn't even hold a pen to save my life, I had to take some time off.
The morning I realized I couldn't hook Abby's leash onto her collar, I knew something was beyond wrong.
Off to the doctor I went.

Six tubes of blood later I was told that I was more-less making myself sick.
My body had alarmingly low amounts of Vitamin D, and I'm anemic.
I have been a vegetarian for almost a year, but I haven't been doing it right.
(Apparently pasta, salad, oreos and beer aren't a sufficient diet.)
I had a low grade infection, and was doing the best I could to fight it off, but my defenses were very weak.

Well, my MOTHER had it.
She threatened to move me back home,
(Yes, actually call my landlord and tell them I was unemployed so they'd evict me, and show up at the door in a Uhaul. Picture that.)
I did move back home temporarily. I camped out on the couch, and Abby was taken care of by my fam. I could. not. move.

So, I'm very thankful that I have such an awesome no-nonsense family, who will take care of me even when I insist I'm fine. They know better, and know how stubborn I am.

My mom sat me down at the kitchen table, and we started small.
She had me pick out my choice of sushi, (lobster rolls) and I had one.
Next night, she made me a sandwich with crusty Italian bread, and a little bit of rotisserie chicken.
Next night she gave me a little bit of pork chop that was so smothered in sauce, I couldn't taste much else.

Funny thing is, I stared to feel a lot better, and at this point I'm back at my place feeling better than I have in a while. Still not 100%, but definitely self-sufficient.

So it looks like I'm no longer a veg-head. I'm def. picky about what I eat now, but I see that I'm not invincible. I have to take care of myself.

More updates to come...

No comments: